Sunday, March 28, 2010

The New Portable Poultry House

Well, we finally got the new portable poultry house up and running. It certainly has been a learning experience, but all the chicks are now outside, with thier adopted mama hen. (Long story short: I had a hen that I had to bring to the house to nurse, and instead of putting her out with the breeding hens and roosters, I stuck her in with the new chicks. She immediuately took on  the role of mother hen, to 100+ chicks!) They all made it through their first night outside, and we have figured out how we are going to feed and water them as well as move the pen for the next 5 weeks until processing day.

I finished cleaning out the garage, and have decided no more chick brooding in the garage, too messy, too much humidity and I risk divorce if I continue that trend!

Here is a couple shots of the new mobile house.


Watering the group.

A closer look at the chicks.

1 comment:

  1. I learned at the Chicago Green festival that it is legal to keep chickens in Chicago. Whodathought!! You can see a chicken in my green festival report at www.businesscardtobusiness.com/blog

    ReplyDelete